I was thinking about making this all week. Every night I went to bed thinking, tomorrow, you have to try this out. Well, I finally did, and it was good enough that I needed to share the recipe with you. I’ve been pretty into frittatas recently, craving the savory variety when I want something easy and filling. You can add so many different things to one and make it your own that the possibilities are pretty much endless. This time around I decided trying a sweeter spin on this dish by making a mixed berry breakfast frittata. At first the words berry and frittata might seem odd together, but trust me you have to give this one a try when you want something just a little sweet for breakfast but still super healthy. As this is mainly egg based you are getting a great source of protein, plus it is sweetened with only a bit of maple syrup, so it is lower in sugar and has no refined sugars.
On another note, I have also been looking for other ways to incorporate probiotics into my diet (other than my fav kombucha and other fermented foods . . . variety is the spice of life, or so they say) and found LiveKuna, a brand offering some organic products that include probiotics. I added some of their chia + probiotics to this recipe for some extra health benefits. You can make this recipe without this ingredient with no effect on the end product, however, if you’re looking for a way to sneak some probiotics into your meal I would suggest adding a little of this ingredient, which you can also sprinkle in smoothies and more. You can find out more about LiveKuna Organic Chia + Probiotics here.
You can make this to share or save leftovers to reheat for breakfast throughout the week. Either way I’m sure you’ll love it! xo Sav
- 5 eggs (2 whole eggs, 3 egg whites only)
- 1/3 cup rolled oats (can use gluten free)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (I use goat yogurt)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 2 dashes cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mixed berries (if frozen rinse in cold water to thaw slightly)
- 1 tsp LiveKuna Organic Milled Chia + Probiotics (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp Ghee
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, maple syrup, yogurt, oats, baking powder, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and salt (plus chia if using).
- Heat ghee in a small cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add berries in even layer and cook approximately 1 minute, do not stir.
- Pour in egg mixture and reduce to medium-low heat. Cook on the stove top for 2-3 minutes until the edges start to set.
- Turn of the burner and place skillet on the top oven rack. Bake for 20-25 minutes until set.
- Remove from oven and let cool 1-2 minutes before serving.
- Tip: When pouring egg mixture into the skillet pour from the middle and let the mixture spread out on its own to ensure even distribution.
- As always, use organic ingredients where you can.